Cost of Living Support

Energy and Utilities


Utilities and Home Energy Improvement

Ofgem recommends that if you are struggling to pay for energy or think you may get into difficulty, contact your supplier. Find information about how to identify your gas and/or electricity supplier here

Ofgem advises that suppliers must work with you to agree on a payment plan you can afford under Ofgem rules.

Ofgem advises that you can ask your supplier for: 

  • a review of your payments and debt repayments 
  • payment breaks or reductions  
  • more time to pay 
  • access to hardship funds 
  • advice on how to use less energy 
  • Priority Service registration – a free support service if you are in a vulnerable situation. 

Citizens Advice has a list of grants that are available to support energy bill payment.

Charis has a page for individuals to identify which schemes are currently open for applications, or those schemes which are coming soon. Includes grants and funds that can support you with energy bills and with getting new appliances if yours breaks – based on who your energy supplier is

SHINE The Seasonal Health Intervention Network is a fuel poverty referral network and free energy advice service for Londoners. The SHINE hub is located within Islington Council and run by the Energy Advice Service. All callers undergo an assessment to see what services they would be eligible and suitable for. SHINE assess and refer for electricity and water discounts, heating and insulation grants to improve household efficiency and refer households with additional needs to supplier and power network to Priority Service Registers For self-referrals, call 0300 555 0195 to speak to an advisor, 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday. View presentation
For third party referrals, please use
the online form or email 

Action for Warm Houses provide advice and support to people struggling to heat their homes affordably, either directly or via community engagement projects and outreach. Contact them through their webchat. 

GLA Warmer Homes Programme is a pan-London programme offering advice and financial support for fuel poor households.

Warm Spaces is a national warm spaces directory.

Simple Energy Advice provide personalised advice based on your postcode, on how you can make home improvements to make your home greener and more energy efficient.

Age UK provide specialist energy support for older people and advises whether older people are accessing all the support available to them and provides guidance on billing, meters and complaints. Call 0800 055 6112 for specialist support.  

Scope offer free energy and water advice to disabled people, helping them to manage their energy and water needs. 

Ofwat offer advice on how your water provider can help you if you are struggling with paying your bills. The WaterSure scheme allows bills to be capped for certain customers with a water meter.

WaterHelp and WaterSure – Thames Water help with water bills for low-income households, households with large families and those who have a water-dependent medical condition.


Government Energy Schemes

The Winter Fuel Payment is a £100-£300 fuel payment for people born on or before 5 October 1954. Contact your local council for advice and help in accessing this fund. 

The Warm Home Discount is a £140 discount for some people getting Pension Credit or some people in low-income household. Contact your local council for advice and help in accessing this fund. 

The Household Support Fund is a fund to help vulnerable households in winter. Contact your local council for advice and help on accessing this fund. It is always worth contacting your Local Authority as they may have other grants or programmes that you could benefit from. 

The cold winter Payment is a £25 payment for every 7 days of very cold weather that is experienced between November and March. Contact your local council for advice and help on accessing this fund.