We meet every Tuesday between 10:30am and 4:00pm and usually have 35 to 40 clients in each session.
Our main aim is to provide a sanctuary for LGBTQ+ people – somewhere safe where they can be themselves, socialise free from discrimination, receive therapies to improve their mental health, learn new skills and acquire knowledge to improve their quality of life.
We are located in the Mind Spa at 35 Ashley Road, London N19 3AG.
Our guiding principles are:-
- To treat each other with respect, fairness and consideration
- To be mindful of our individual needs – we are all different but equal.
- To have a safe environment where we can be ourselves and not be judged.
We currently offer the following specialist services, activities and peer support groups:
- Freedom From Fear To Love: a project supported by National Mind and by Lloyds Bank Foundation, assisting LGBTQ+ asylum seekers and refugees with their transition to a newly “out” LGBTQ+ existence. We offer opportunities for LGBTQ+ asylum seekers and refugees to socialise, share experiences and experience, befriend, take part or facilitate peer-support groups and be active in working together to tackle their specific complex and challenging issues. As well as group support a personalised individual program is offered to ensure LGBTQ+ asylum seekers and refugees have access to information and advice about statutory, voluntary and community services/resources, welfare benefits and suitable housing solutions. Different aspects of this project run on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Click here for a leaflet.
- Freedom From Fear to Love Drop-in: our London-wide support provision for LGBTQ+ asylum seekers and refugees now offers the following drop-in days at the Spa, 35 Ashley Road N19 3AG: Wednesdays 11:00am to 4:00pm on 20 March, 10 April, 1 May, 22 May and 12 June. The drop-in provides opportunity to meet and socialise with others in a safe, therapeutic environment. We also offer various activities and provide FREE lunch.
- United in Strength: a service aimed at supporting lesbian, bisexual and trans women who experience domestic violence. Click here for a leaflet.
- Creative Writing Group (Tuesdays 11:00 – 13:00) provides a positive space for people to try their hand at different kinds of creative fiction, poetry and non-fiction. We learn techniques, occasionally write together; we also talk about each other’s work and writing more generally. We have absolute beginners as well as experienced writers.
- Singing group (Tuesdays after lunch) offers breathing exercises and learning of songs. No experience needed, we aim to have fun, express ourselves through singing and free our voices to sing together.
- Art Attack – free drop-in art sessions offered throughout the day where people are free to be creative with the medium they like. We have lots of lovely material for people to use free of charge and we engage with activities such as painting and drawing and design and poster making. The activity is sometime offered outdoors, in our beautiful garden. No experience in art is required.
- Cooking a 2 course homemade healthy meal – We offer a hearty and healthy meal every Tuesday, with a Vegan meal in addition to the meat option. With a different dish each week, meals are planned and cooked in house by clients and staff together as a joint activity.
- (peer facilitated) Yoga sessions after lunch
Lunch is subsidised (£3 for a 2 course meal) and we all eat together at 13:00
Peer support groups
LBT Women Only Space offers safe space for self-identifying female individuals. It is a confidential environment where respect and consideration for self and others is paramount but where open discussions are encouraged. We discuss topics chosen by participants, we utilise all forms or art and offer guided meditation. It is a cathartic and healing space for LBT women.
Men’s Group – this is a men-only discussion group in a safe and supporting space. We discuss topic that are chosen by participants, such as ‘getting old in the LGBT community’. We also organise outings to events and/or exhibitions.
Mind Scape – peer support group, part of the London Paranoia & Beliefs Network, providing support to people who experience, anxiety, paranoia and unusual beliefs
Alternative Therapies Clinic (offering head and shoulders massage)
Psychotherapy service offered to Outcome members only
We facilitate our House Meetings every third week of the month at 3:00 where we all look together at monitoring and developing Outcome.
During the summer we facilitate special summer activities including picnics and trips chosen by our service users.
We network with other service providers to raise awareness about the specific needs of LGBTQ+ individuals who experience mental distress.
We also network with other LGBTQ+ groups and providers and invite speakers to help empower our clients around issues including:
- Combating homophobia
- Accessing housing, welfare and training support
- Safer sex
- Cooking and nutrition
- Managing debt
Our open day is usually in October, which is a brilliant opportunity to visit us and see what we offer. Please contact us for further details and for a date.
We also run an annual LBT women-only event in April/May.
For further details about Outcome, including referrals, activities and/or if you would like to help this project, please contact us on: 020 7272 5038 (Tuesdays only) or email firstname.lastname@example.org